requesting wi-fi help

I am probably asking on the wrong listserve, but this is the only one
I subscribe to.

I have never used wi-fi in Fedora.    I have normally had access to a Ethernet
and all my previous attempts at wi-fi in Fedora have failed.

So today, I purchased a router, and connected it to my cable-modem and was
able to immediately use wi-fi on my $ 30 Android smartphone.

But I can not for the life of me, figure out how to get wi-fi to work in Fedora.
I believe I have third party repo properly installed.  I believe I have Broadcom-wl
and kmod-wl installed.

I am in Xfce, which in my opinion has poor Network Manager menu compared to Gnome.

I have used wi-fi on other distros before and my recollection was that it was not
complicated.

When I click on the Network icon in the panel, it does not show wi-fi.

If I go to the Xfce menu to "Advanced Network Configuration," I get a menu that is
above my IQ.

David Locklear