Re: Problems with blkid hanging.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 23:07:46 +0000 (UTC)
George R Goffe via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stan,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> You raise some VERY interesting questions.
>
> I have successfully upgraded from FC32 (Rawhide) to FC33 (Rawhide) on
> this host. No problems. blkid without operands hangs here though,
> hence the mentioned bug report on bugzilla.redhat.com.
>
> As we "speak" blkid on my host running as root is hung (STATE="D").
> Lsof shows only one /dev/sda? partition... the swap partition. The
> same is true in the VM. Hmmmmm...
>
> VirtualBox runs as root. I would assume (I'm aware of what the
> letters stand for) that it would support privileged commands and/or
> instructions probably emulating some privileged commands/instructions
> in order to protect the host from errant guests. I can ask the VBox
> people if this is so if you would like me to do so. I do doubt that
> VBox is involved since this hang happens with or without VBox.
>
> I can get a "strace -xvf blkid" trace file if that would help.

Well, as Samuel said, my premises were wrong.  But it seems that blkid
is blocking because it needs a resource.  My suspicion would be that
something has that resource, and is waiting for blkid.  Grid lock.

I think the suggestions of Chris Murphy are where to go from here.