Re: fedora-easy-karma alternative: fedora-update-feedback

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 15:42 Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey folks!

Just wanted to point up a neat project Fabio Valentini has been working
on. It's called fedora-update-feedback:

https://github.com/ironthree/fedora-update-feedback

it's an alternative to fedora-easy-karma, written in Rust. He says it
should be pretty much working at this point, and he'd be happy to get
bug reports or RFEs for it, if anyone wants to give it a spin. It is
not packaged for Fedora yet, but if you're comfortable building from
the git repository, feel free to try it out! I believe you would need
to build fedora-rs and bodhi-rs (in that order) first before it will
build and work:

https://github.com/ironthree/fedora-rs
https://github.com/ironthree/bodhi-rs

Thanks for the shout-out!

I'll add more user-friendly installation instructions to the GitHub readme until it's available as a fedora package.

But basically, it boils down to:

- download and extract tarball of the latest fedora-update-feedback release (or use git master, at your peril)
- "dnf install cargo" (for the rust compiler and build system)
- "cargo install --path ." (fetches dependencies and builds the binary)
- copy built binary into $PATH
- create config file in ~/.config/fedora.toml with:

```
[FAS]
username = "USERNAME"
```

I'm looking into creating RPM packages for this, and also publish it to crates.io.

As Adam said, feel free to open RFE and bug tickets in the GitHub project. For example, it would be pretty easy to improve the UI and format of printed messages, but I'm crap with that kind of stuff :)

Fabio

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey