Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Thu, 2019-12-12 at 15:37 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: Change [[Releases/32/ReleaseBlocking]] to indicate
> we no longer block on optical media, change Validation Testing
> Matrices

I don't think this is quite right. The ReleaseBlocking page would
likely not change, as the *images* themselves would remain release
blocking, we just would no longer block on them working when written to
physical optical media.

Rather, as well as the Installation matrix, this would require changing
the release criteria, specifically 'Supported media types' for this
Final criterion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_32_Final_Release_Criteria#Release-blocking_images_must_boot

As a general note, I'm a bit surprised that this popped up as a Change,
though it's not necessarily a problem. Previous changes of this nature
have been handled via the test@ list as release criteria change
proposals, not as Changes: this does not involve any change to the
distribution itself, only to our validation of it.

For context, we changed this most recently in 2017, when the optical
requirement was moved from Alpha (which existed at the time) to Final.
The proposal to drop the optical requirement entirely was first floated
by Matthew Miller in September 2018 on test@ , and there is a long
discussion thread following that proposal:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/E5RJTWF6VZLQFWHB5IBAXBSQIB57SJSY/#E5RJTWF6VZLQFWHB5IBAXBSQIB57SJSY

which may be helpful for context.
--
Adam Williamson