Re: pipewire

On 12/5/19 03:16, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 12/4/19 12:53 PM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Is pipewire part of Wayland?

No.  It's just necessary for screen casting with Wayland because you don't have direct access to the screen buffer now.  It provides the "pipe" between the screen renderer and the application wanting to cast the screen.

 From what I've seen so far, it seems like pipewire will replace gstreamer, ffmpeg, pulse audio, and jack. Though all of the changes are apparently being implemented over a longish period of time. Is all of the audio and video stream software being replaced by pipewire?

No, it's just the interface.  It won't replace gstreamer or ffmpeg.  It will replace the raw v4l interface, pulseaudio, and jack.  It's intended to do for video what pulseaudio and jack currently do for audio, and handle the audio as well.

Is there a block diagram or something else somewhere so I can see how these fit into an audio or video stream for now and with pipewire later?

Look at where pulseaudio and jack fit in the audio stream currently and imagine that pipewire will replace them and also fit in the same place in the video stream.  It will transport raw video streams, but not handle video encoding.  In the same way that pulseaudio doesn't do vorbis decoding or encoding.  That's my understanding, which could possibly be wrong.

Thanks that's a big help. I appreciate it.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)