Re: Way to get test documents updated and new ones written.

On 12/2/19 14:45, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2019-12-02 at 14:36 -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
When I saw the kanban/taiga mentioned on the test list today, I thought
about a comment KParal made a while back about that there were some Test
Cases that he knew of that needed some updating. I'm aware of some too.

It seems to me we could use the kanban to keep our test documentation up
to date. We could use Issues to propose a change in a document or
propose a new document. As soon as the proposal got a certain number of
+1 votes the proposal could be transferred to the kanban where anyone so
inclined could make the draft and push it on for review. etc. etc. like
they do at Fedora Mazazine.

Anyone could write a proposal, anyone could do the draft. We'd need a
few select editors to judge if a draft was ready for a broader review
then if ready for publishing.

This would provide more visibility for the document work that is needed.
This could also help move the burden from a few people to the broader
community.

Would this have any advantages over using the issue tracker we already
have?

https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/issues

The QA Issues tracker seems to be used for proposing that something needs doing and having some optional discussion if anyone comments. With the kanban one of the Editors has to do the initial review or nothing further happens. Assignee, Milestones, Depending On, Priority could serve for documentation though they don't seem to be currently used.

For documents voting should be implemented as a "Go Ahead". I don't see any voting going on in QA Issues. Also there would need to be a way to change the assignment a document task as when a document is moved to an editor for initial review or its sent back for editing. Notifying the Assignee by e'mail that they have something to do would be very helpful too. Also, it's not clear if there is a way to make a link to the actual in process document. A State indicator would be nice so people can know things like: In Writing, In Review, In Editing, OutToComunity, Published at a quick glance. Having links to the templates like the one we use for test cases would be very handy along with a place to put the unpublished documents besides an individual's wiki page.

The QA Issues looks like it serves fine for the current uses, it could probably be made to serve for documents, but I think it would need a "how to, what to, and who do" procedure for documents. Then of course that procedure would probably not be followed; so the results would likely lack consistency

Take a look at the kanban:

https://teams.fedoraproject.org/project/asamalik-fedora-magazine/kanban

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)