Re: Link to test case for drive dismount

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 6:45 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:26 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On 11/4/19 15:34, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > Why is "Be sure to reclaim all disk space" important for this test
> > > case? It really shouldn't matter what the layout is.
> > >

> > Chris,
> >
> > I just wanted to be sure it was a clean install so there would be enough
> > space for the install and there wouldn't be any dual boot or other stuff
> > hanging around that might make trouble. If you think it will be all
> > right I will defer to you on this.
>
> Let's see what Adam thinks.
>
> My opinion is that no matter what the layout is, everything should
> either be cleanly unmounted, or remounted ro, or FIFREEZE() followed
> by FITHAW() and in all three of those cases the next boot's system log
> will show clean file systems that do not have dirty bits set, and do
> not need log replay (file system journal recovery).  The information
> that's needed if any of that is not true: the next boot's system log
> (shows if anything is dirty and needs replay/fixup), the prior boot's
> system log, and potentially the shutdown-log.txt produced from
> following these instructions:
>
> Shutdown Completes Eventually
> https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1
>
> The more interesting part of this is whether we can block release on
> such a bug. A dirty file system isn't always a form of corruption, and
> we also aren't using atomic updates or file systems by default. I'm
> not sure what release criterion would apply.
>
> From basic:
> "It must be possible to trigger a clean system shutdown using standard
> console commands."
>
> Does "clean" refer to file systems at all? And if so which ones? If
> /home is not cleanly unmounted, there might be a bug, but it also
> might be a benign problem because there's nothing on /home we need for
> booting, and when it's mounted at the next startup, its fs journal
> will be replayed. Maybe this could apply to the EFI system partition
> and boot volumes? Does shutdown also apply to reboots? I think this
> criterion is mostly about making sure a complete shutdown+poweroff is
> possible by CLI.
>
> From beta:
> "A system installed without a graphical package set must boot to a
> working login prompt without any unintended user intervention, and all
> virtual consoles intended to provide a working login prompt must do
> so. "
>
> Really only applies following installation, I think. Not after a bunch
> of packages are installed, customizations made, and dozens or hundreds
> of reboots later, such a problem manifests.
>
> From final:
> "All known bugs that can cause corruption of user data must be fixed
> or documented at Common F31 bugs."
>
> It's not a bug that GRUB and most other bootloaders, can't read file
> system journals, and therefore demand that at least one of: umount,
> [...]
 (suddenly it sent before I was done)

... at least one of: umount, remount ro, FIFREEZE() then FITHAW() must
succeed. It is a known bootloader deficiency. Any of those three
things will ensure journal entries are flushed to the file system
before a reboot/shutdown, and therefore GRUB will have an accurate
view of file system state.

--
Chris Murphy