Re: incomplete kernel installation

On 10/20/19 11:05 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
This just happened in system-update 30>31 on MBR host p5bse. It's been happening
in F29, F30 and F31 on some systems, but not others, and I can't tell why the
difference. Initramfs gets properly built, but none of the rest of the new
kernel's files land in /boot/. I have to put them there manually out of the
appropriate kernel-core rpm.

Both DNF and rpm directly produce the same failure trying to add a new kernel.

Is there an error message or something in the logs?

Grub is not installed in Fedora, though grubby, grub2-tools, grub2-common and
grub2-tools-minimal are. Booting is done via master bootloader not involving
Fedora in any way. I don't know what must be requiring these packages, or why.

Master bootloader?  grub2 is installed by default.

It does seem odd that the kernel-core package's files whose destination is /boot/
are located in /lib/modules/<version>/ in the rpm rather than /boot/.

What files are those? The vmlinuz and initramfs files are in /boot in the rpm.