Re: A Friday with Infra [fedocal possible retirement]

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 5:16 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In case folks didn't see it on devel@, I wanted to flag this up here.
Infra is talking about no longer maintaining fedocal. We do use it for
some purposes, the most notable I can think of is the Test Day calendar
- we used to keep the Test Day schedule in the wiki, effectively, then
a few years back moved to doing it in fedocal. Anyone have any thoughts
on how we should handle this?

It's not just test days, it's also our other events - QA meetings, blocker review meetings, maybe something else (we used to have QA devel meetings).

Unless somebody steps up to maintain Fedocal, the simple yet probably unpopular solution is to maintain it in Google Calendar or something similar. Yes, it's a proprietary service, and the admin privileges can't be maintained through FAS. But the end-user experience is very similar - people can see a web view of the events, and they can add an ical link to their calendar client of choice. If somebody knows of a FOSS service to host calendars accessible through ical, speak up please.

I can also think of some bear-bone solution e.g. by storing the ics file in a git repo, pull, edit in Evolution/etc, push. People could still link it to their calendar client, but we wouldn't have any web view. I don't think we want to go this route, though.