F32 and AVX2 (advanced planning is a good thing)

In regard to F32 proposal: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/x86-64_micro-architecture_update

I've done some checking into the AVX2 situation. Please see the wikipedia page that is referenced in the proposal. Note the parentheticals There are many newer PCs that do not have the explicitly branded processors. More details can be found by reading the manufacturer's data sheets for the processors you are personally concerned with. From what I've found there are some processors in some of the generations of processors listed that do not have AVX2.

An additional complication is that AVX2 has several components and some parts of AVX2 may not be implemented in a given CPU and chip set that has AVX2. the software that installs/implements AVX2 will need to query the hardware to understand which components are available. Given that they are doing that, it's easy for them to know if AVX2 is not available. In such case another set of graphics software can be loaded allowing people with non-AVX2 hardware to continue using Fedora.

In regard to the statement in the proposal "Fedora installations on systems with CPUs which are not able to execute AVX2 instructions will not be able to upgrade.", I would call that Draconian. "Developers will benefit from the knowledge that code with AVX2 optimizations will run wherever Fedora runs." The word "some" should precede the word "developers" in this statement. This would be gained by closing out fedora users without AVX2 hardware.

I think this could be a win - win if the implementation was done so that Fedora would use the available hardware instead of forcing mass hardware purchases. The people who want the software that would use AVX2 (3d graphics, 3d CAD, and Games) are likely to have or be willing to buy required hardware because it will enable their work to go faster (financial justification). Just intuition, but my guess is that the majority of Redhat, and Fedora users are not in those groups. Upgrading the graphics capability is certainly a good thing, but it could be done in a more friendly less harmful way.

All the PCs I support run fedora so getting complete information on the CPU is easy with a little application called cpuid. I installed cupid and ran:

	cupid > PC1-CPU.txt

Then I reviewed the file with gedit. All seven PCs I maintain will have to be replaced in order to run F32 as it is currently proposed. There is about a year before this would happen so the budget can be allowed for, but no one here will see any benefit.

I know the pundits complain that the application windows don't pop up on the screen as fast as they want them to. I really doubt that this is a serious issue for regular users. It's nice to please the pundits, but it's nice to keep regular users happy too. I think both could be done. After all, pundits always have the most super zippy hardware. So the installation and setup of graphics software just needs to be for what the machine is capable of for users and pundits. Everyone can be happy.

		Have a Great Day!

		Pat	(tablepc)