Re: Fedora Server and disk space

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 4:07 AM <alciregi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-30-20190415.n.2.iso, selecting
> Automatic storage configuration.
> Once installed, I spotted that the configured root partition is 15GB
> even if the disk is bigger.
>
> Honestly I don't remember if it has always been so (usually I manually
> partition the disk).
>
> Is this a bug, or is it supposed to work in this way?

It's on purpose. The bulk of the storage in the Volume Group is unused
so you can customize that space for whatever you want. You can grow
the root LV or create a separate srv or var LV and add them to fstab,
etc. The rationale is two parts, first it used to be the case that
docker-storage-setup favored using a dm-thin pool. These days I think
it uses overlayfs out of the box, and therefore the default
partitioning may not be optimal anymore, but again you can just grow
the root LV. The other logic is since XFS doesn't support shrinking,
that automatic partitioning shouldn't use all the space in a way that
the user would then be stuck having to reinstall as the only work
around.

--
Chris Murphy