Re: "Basic graphics mode" feature and criterion discussion

On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 15:33 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Adam Williamson composed on 2019-03-26 11:38 (UTC-0700):
>
> To be clear, this is about DDX drivers, not kernel drivers, right? Seeing
> "driver" used willy nilly in discussing video issues and configuration is confusing.

The mail you're replying to? No. It's about kernel drivers.

> > ...when a *new* graphics card comes out, one that the
> > nouveau driver doesn't actually work with right away, when you try and
> > boot any Linux on a system with that card, nouveau will still get
> > loaded and *try* to work. This may not end well (though I don't have
> > direct experience with this case, so I don't know whether there are
> > other fallback paths...
>
> Wasn't this part of the instigation for the creation of the /other/ DDX driver,
> the generic one that works with all the big three/four GPUs, AMD/ATI, Intel and
> NVidia, and maybe the minor players too, the now upstream default, the one that
> isn't a separate DDX package, instead included in the Xorg server package (where
> does it come from when running Wayland?):
>
> 	modesetting?

The clue is in the name: it only works if kernel modesetting is
available. If no kernel driver is successfully providing kernel mode
setting, that X driver isn't going to do anything.

On UEFI systems, there is actually a sort of generic fallback driver
that provides kernel modesetting if no native kernel driver is
available to do it. However, I think if nouveau loads but doesn't work,
that driver gets precluded so you still don't get KMS. (I haven't
checked this for sure, though).

On BIOS, on Fedora, nothing provides kernel modesetting if no 'native'
kernel driver works for the hardware, AIUI. The non-native driver
fallback path on BIOS is simply X.org with the 'vesa' X driver.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey