Re: [fedora-qa] Issue #569: Proposal to redefine core applications.

I'd say an
easy-to-read guide in "how can I help?" section on our wiki could be more
visible.

As one of the newbies (joined in March 2018) I will wholeheartedly say Great Idea! I'm still trying to figure this out. The only things the wiki seems to point to are testing updates and running the standard test cases. I certainly understand these are both important, but Coconut is running most of the tests these days leaving apparently little a for a human to do. For testing the updates it seems like you have to be one of the old hands to even know what an update item is and what it dose. When I read the information on a candidate in bodi and with the package in many cases these questions don't seem to be answered. It seems quite a rare occasion when I know or can figure out what a candidate is so I can go ahead and do some rational testing.

OK. But I think we can intuitively guess which apps are more important
than others, or can't we?

We do. But do the community people, especially newbies, know it? I though
that we wanted easy testing for community members. This might be one of
them.

I don't mind having to figure things out and make up my own test plan when there is some information available I can base that on. However figuring out what is most important needs knowledge of the system architecture, data flow, etc. For instance, a primmer on d-bus and other data / control vehicles would be very helpful. Alternatively a prioritized list of the "important things" with a brief what it is and what it does. would be useful.

I've also come to understand that much of the information I look for is available, but finding it can be a real challenge.

Not all of the newbies are software / IT students or new graduates. I'm a retired EE that's also written my share of software. Though I've not been inside an OS before. I want to help because I really like Fedora.

I know I've suggested a lot of apparently new documentation that isn't likely to appear anytime soon for lack of volunteer hours. I also understand it my have limited value if there are enough volunteers that already know these things. With these points in mind, I'll just keep going the way I have been.

		Have a Great Day!

		Pat (tablepc)