Re: F29: power notification on gnome lock screen, no journal messages

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:48 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:47 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The notification should be visible, as it should wake the screen up when it
>> > appears, and also be visible when other notifications appear (which should
>> > also wake up the screen).
>>
>> I'm finding it super annoying.
>
> Turn them off then? Settings -> Notifications -> Lock Screen Notifications ...

That's throwing out the baby with the bath water.

When I'm using the laptop, they are useful.

When I'm not using the laptop, the screen turning on then off then on
then off then on, is annoying: I don't really care one way or another
about notifications as long as I don't see them once my inactivity has
caused the screen to dim.

The policy is "dim screen when inactive" and as this is a user domain
policy, inactive means 'the user is not actively using the computer' -
when some other program can cause the screen to wake up, it's a domain
violation. I haven't interacted with the laptop, therefore the screen
should not wake up under any circumstance. That's how Windows 10 and
macOS behave.

Android and iOS, on the other hand, behave they way GNOME is right
now. Any app can cause the screen to turn on and bug me, which is why
my attention seeking phone is usually face down.

Of course GNOME should know when I'm ignoring it, it shouldn't bug me.
Of course it should.

--
Chris Murphy