Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On 9/20/18 4:45 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 9/20/18 1:40 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
I'm not sure what FUD you've read to believe that, but flash drives from reputable brands are very hard and last more than a few times writing to them.

That is true, but there is also a reasonable chance or losing them, breaking them, or other random failures.  When a flash drive dies, it's gone, very difficult to recover if even possible.  I would not recommend a flash drive (or DVD) alone for long-term storage.  What I would recommend is multiple copies of the data in multiple places, one of which could certainly be flash drives for ease of access.

We are drifting here.  I like DVD for backup because there are good physical storage options for DVD that is lacking for USB.  Plus they are cheaper for each backup.  But it is drifting and it has been pointed out that this is NOT about dropping operational use of optical media.  WAY too early in storage evolution to discuss that!