GDM fails to start on my workstation

Hi,

I did an upgrade yesterday of three laptops and a workstation. It was slightly
weird in that I did a full upgrade which gave me a new kernel and then found
there was immediate a few more updates and another new kernel. A priori this
is not an issue, except that I usually only get one set of upgrades at a
sitting.

The actual problem I am having is that the workstation cannot get the
graphical state started. The screen flashes for a while, then stops and the
monitor tells me that the server is not finding the correct refresh rate for
the monitor. The laptops are fine as far as I can tell.

multi-user target works fine on the workstation so it is just a
GDM/Xorg/Xwayland thing.

Something similar happened some time back, and it turned out to be an SELinux
permissions thing. Since then I have has SELinux set to permissive, at least
in the configuration file. However at some point in the past this had to be
done in the Grub boot line. Unfortunately beyond these memories I can't
remember what people got me to try that worked. But then this may be a new and
different problem that just happens to have the same symtoms.

The workstation is an ancient DELL Precision T series with twin Xeon CPUs,
12GB (only :-), and a GeForce GT 610 graphics card running with the Nouveau
driver. No NVIDIA drivers involved.

Whilst emailing, can someone point me at an explanation for the roles of
"Fedora Rawhide" and "Modular Fedora Rawhide" repositories are. I am not sure
I noticed when the "Modular Fedora Rawhide" repository appeared, so have no
idea of the relationship between it and "Fedora Rawhide".

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200