Re: Broken dnf from 06-30-2018

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 09:19:15 +0100
Russel Winder <russel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sadly it seems the 3.0.2 and 2.7.5 packages cannot be installed due
> to various different broken dependencies, so simple upgrade or
> downgrade of dnf from the current state of the Fedora install is not
> possible.
>
> I know this is Fedora and there is a caveat emptor, but I wonder if
> this episode indicates that there should be work done to make sure
> that a broken dnf can never be installed? dnf is too important to a
> Fedora install to allow having a broken one be put in place. Ditto
> rpm, obviously.

I agree with you on the importance of dnf to the functionality of
Fedora.  From what I've read, though, they are aware of this and dnf is
very well tested for compatibility.  But, rawhide.  In a stable
version, people aren't trying to get the next version of libraries and
critical system components in before the freeze.  The time between
releases is short, and there almost always seems to be a frenzy in
rawhide about something.  Not to mention orphaned packages causing
update blocks.

Because of events like this, when I run rawhide, I always do it on a
machine with an earlier Fedora that works available.  Then, if (when?)
something goes wrong, I can use the functioning Fedora as a fallback,
and a base to help correct the compromised rawhide.  'chroot dnf update'
worked for me the last time dnf was compromised in rawhide.  I also have
used rpm to download and update, or remove, or downgrade packages.  It's
tedious, but works.