Re: Sanity check on package versions

On Sun, 20 May 2018 13:07:35 +0100
Russel Winder <russel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lots of the fc29 package have a number of fc28 and fc27 package
> dependencies. Is this how it works, or will at some point all the
> fc28 and fc27 dependencies get recompiled to be fc29?

This is how it works for releases that aren't mass rebuild releases.  I
don't think f29 is a mass rebuild release.  If an updated package gets
released during the lifetime of f29, it will be an f29 package.

I'm not sure of how mass rebuilds are scheduled, but F28 was a mass
rebuild release.  If there are packages before that in rawhide, they
probably failed to build during the mass rebuild, and weren't
replaced.  This also happens if you have an existing rawhide that rolls
through several releases, since obsoletes and orphans will not get
rebuilt.  I had a rawhide with packages all the way back to f24 because
of that.  Caused problems with updates, because those old packages
wanted to hang onto their old dependencies.