Windows printer via Samba

Good afternoon,

Though I've been using Fedora for several years, it's only been in the last few weeks that I've been helping out in small ways with Fedora QA. So I'm not at master sage Fedora guru. More like I'm junior squid bait.

I don't use samba because I don't have any windows machines, but I always set up my printer using CUPS. CUPS seems able see all the network printers. If your printer is connected to the network, perhaps you could try CUPS to set up your printer. You can use your web browser to access CUPS at http://localhost:631/ I may be wrong, but I think a printer could probably take jobs through samba from some machines and through IPP for others

With regard to F28, I also found a bug with regard to setting up a printer on my network, but through the Gnome Settings Printers. There is an open bug report on that at Buzzilla. As I said, I always use CUPS to set up printers. I was just trying the Gnome tool as part of my testing for F28. As a follow up, I loaded system-config-printer and used that to determine what went wrong, fix it, and provide information to the one assigned to the bug. It turned out that the Gnome tool had not enabled the printer and left a couple other parameters unset.

In any case you may want to try CUPS.

I'm replying to this as a try to be of help. This is not a suggestion to modify the acceptance criteria for a new release. The extra testing I do is simply to find out if things work and file bug reports as needed.

        Have a Great Day!

        Pat (tablepc)