Re: [Proposal] Test Day Guidelines

On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 03:23 -0400, Sumantro Mukherjee wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I would like to make a proposal for updating and fleshing out some of test day guideline.
>
> To start with the wording on the Top of Test Day page:
> If you come to this page before or after the test day is completed,
> your testing is still valuable, and you can use the information on
> this page to test, file any bugs you find at Bugzilla, and add your
> results to the results section. If this page is more than a month old
> when you arrive here, please check the current schedule and see if a
> similar but more recent Test Day is planned or has already happened.

> # Proposal 1: We would also like people to *not* do testing if we are
> testing something which are compose sensitive and post-test day
> chasing and finding the same bugs in the compose and filing dups
> won't make much sense. So, it will be best to reduce the time frame
> from a month to a week.
> Also, check the current schedule for something fresher and ready
> requiring testing love.

I picked 'a month' more or less arbitrarily, 'a week' is certainly an
OK choice too. Note that the template really is just a *template*, and
can (and should!) be adapted to each event as appropriate. So if *some
specific event* is very time sensitive, this text could be changed as
appropriate - to say 'a day' or whatever.

> # Proposal 2: We would love to see more coverage on the test cases,
> let's take Modularity and as an example, Contributors found bugs in
> Rpi 3 (ARM) which weren't the case with x86_64, Profile field in the
> test day results
> page becomes very important and crucial. Maybe, we should avoid
> putting "Fedora-Server-dvd-xxxxxyyyyyyz.n.0.iso" which doesn't give
> much info about the testing environment or how it was executed. We
> might
> want to flesh out the importance of that field and it will be very
> helpful in coming future.

I'm actually not quite sure what you're referring to here, or where the
"Fedora-Server-dvd-xxxxxyyyyyyz.n.0.iso" example comes from. Could you
provide a bit more context?

In general I'd certainly say that, again, the way in which result
reporting is set up should be carefully considered for each individual
test day; the template and SOP are only guides. You can set up a result
table in many different ways to capture results from different
combinations of environment factors...

> # Proposal 3: Test Days have a specific team which takes on the task
> of curating the #fedora-test-day channel and these are mostly the
> people who are working on the feature being tested or developed for a
> significant amount of time.
> This is done to ensure that all the contributors/participants can pin
> point folks who are playing the role they are designed for.It's in
> the best interest of contributors that they shouldn't edit this
> section as they misleading if done without proper knowledge.

Are you saying there should be a specifically-identified 'team' for
each individual test day, or an ongoing permanent 'team' for test days
as a whole? Either could potentially work, but I think the proposal
could do with a few more details...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey