Re: Seems to be issue in f28 for obsoleting python [23]-modulemd and replacing with libmodulemd

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 13:38 -0700, stan wrote:
> I updated today, and looked at the conflicts.  One of them is for
> python2-modulemd and python3-modulemd.  They are obsolete, being
> replaced by libmodulemd.  But it isn't happening for some reason.
>
> package python2-dnf-2.7.5-8.fc28.noarch requires python2-modulemd, but
> none of the providers can be installed
>   - package libmodulemd-1.0.4-2.fc28.x86_64 obsoletes python2-modulemd
> < 1.3.4 provided by python2-modulemd-1.3.3-1.fc28.noarch
>   - cannot install the best update candidate for package
> python3-modulemd-1.3.3-1.fc28.noarch
>   - cannot install the best update candidate for package
> python2-dnf-2.7.5-8.fc28.noarch
>
> package python3-dnf-2.7.5-8.fc28.noarch requires python3-modulemd, but
> none of the providers can be installed
>   - package libmodulemd-1.0.4-2.fc28.x86_64 obsoletes python3-modulemd
> < 1.3.4 provided by python3-modulemd-1.3.3-1.fc28.noarch
>   - cannot install the best update candidate for package
> python3-dnf-2.7.5-8.fc28.noarch
>   - cannot install the best update candidate for package
> python2-modulemd-1.3.3-1.fc28.noarch
>
> When I try to remove them so I can install their replacement,
> libmodulemd, dnf rejects the transaction because it would lead to
> removing itself.
>
> Is the workaround to use rpm --force to remove python[23]-modulemd, and
> then use rpm to install libmodulemd?
>
> Or, is there a fix in the works, and I should just wait?

Basically, what this is telling you is that the python2-dnf package
that dnf wants to include in the transaction has an explicit dependency
on 'python2-modulemd'. Which python2-dnf indeed does:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=12982401

Requires python2-modulemd

If libmodulemd *obsoletes* python2-modulemd but doesn't *provide* it
(which appears to be what happened), dnf now has a conundrum, because
it can't both install the libmodulemd that should be included in the
transaction *and* keep python2-dnf happy. So it complains.

Patrick says he's actually run into this little mess this morning and
fixed it up, so I'd say just hang tight. (The retirement of modulemd
was apparently premature and is being undone, apparently).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey