Re: F28 System Wide Change: AArch64 Server Promotion

>> > == Scope ==
>> > * Proposal owners:
>> > The general AArch64 support is already in place and is widely and
>> > actively supported by the Fedora ARM SIG and numerous ARM vendors
>> > and
>> > third parties in Fedora. There will be further and wider support,
>> > hardware enablement, polish and general improvements.
>> >
>> > * Other developers:
>> > N/A: There's no work required for other developers, the aarch64
>> > architecture is already widely supported as an Alternate
>> > Architecture.
>> >
>> > * Release engineering:
>> > Needs approval from release engineering as a primary architecture
>> > as
>> > well as pungi configuration changes to output artifacts to new
>> > location on the primary mirror.
>> > rel-eng ticket #7243: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7243
>> >
>> > * Policies and guidelines:
>> > Updates to the primary architectures and release blocking details
>> > will
>> > need to be updated to reflect that the AArch64 Server/Cloud/Docker
>> > components are now considered primary.
>> >
>> > * Trademark approval:
>> > N/A (not needed for this Change)
>>
>> A significant miss here is 'testing'. Making an arch primary means we
>> need to ensure we have the necessary resources to run all the
>> relevant
>> validation testing.
>>
>> I note pwhalen is a co-owner of the proposal so he's likely signed up
>> to ensure testing gets done, but still, it should be properly covered
>> in the Change document itself.
>>
>> As a further note, almost all the Server validation for x86_64 is
>> done
>> by openQA; doing it manually can be a considerable pain, as you have
>> set up a mini FreeIPA deployment. It would probably be best if we add
>> aarch64 workers to the Fedora openQA deployment to run these tests on
>> aarch64; we've already extended openQA (staging) to ppc64, so all the
>> bits should be in place for us to add another arch, pretty much. I'm
>> going to follow up on this with pwhalen.
>>
>> Another consideration would be whether we ought to also have aarch64
>> support in Taskotron, if it's going to become a primary arch. I'm not
>> actually sure if Taskotron currently covers 32-bit ARM, though, even.
>
> currently taskotron is x86 only.  I am not sure what it would take to
> extend it beyond x86, it would be a worthwhile investigation. It would
> be useful to have all arches in openQA regardless of primary or
> secondary status. I would like to see openQA working for aarch64 in
> Fedora's instance a hard requirement of this change.

I'm fine with that, we already have OpenQA working fine on aarch64 and
the only reason it's not yet in the Fedora infra was that we were
awaiting on the DC move and the EOL of Fedora 25 to be able to move
hardware around.

In fact it basically was a hard requirement for myself (and I suspect
Paul as well) as basically I'm lazy and would prefer a machine do as
much as the testing as humanly possible so I don't have to :-D

Peter