Re: Is the rawhide repo broken?

On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 05:00 +0000, George R Goffe wrote:
> Russel,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Removing python3-docs did not appear to change the problem.

I am surprised you didn't get some change since a number of Fedora
system packages depend on the python3 version.

> Any other ideas? Just wait for whomever to fix the packaging
> problems? I could write a bug if you think that might be a good thing
> to do.

History indicates there are two scenarios and all too often both apply:

1. You have one or two deprecated and/or removed packages that are
causing a version conflict and stopping upgrade.

2. There is a version conflict because of lack of update by packagers.

The python3-doc thing is an instance of 2. As is my current
Boost/LibreOffice situation. I am suffering without python3-doc in the
short term, and waiting on the packagers to sort out the
Boost/LiberOffice thing as I need both.

Whenever I have instances of 1, I use "dnf upgrade --best" and "dnf
upgrade --best --allowerasing" (always saying no to actioning the
upgrade) to investigate where the package conflict is. In many cases
the package is redundant and removing it (or them) clears the blockage.
Sometimes the problem is the dnf system itself, it gets the graph of
dependencies over specifying things and thus causing blockages. In this
case I allow removal of packages to clear the blockage and then
reinstall. Occasionally you have to live without a package or two for a
while to get everything else up to date. cf. python3-doc.

It is a tad difficult to explain things in general. Might it be worth
submitting the result of:

dnf check-update --refresh

dnf upgrade --best

here (as attachments if the output is very lengthy) so as to get more
focused ideas bubbling?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@xxxxxxxxx