Re: systemd-networkd and NetworkManager

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 05:34:40 +0100
Russel Winder <russel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had thought I had removed NetworkManager from my workstation in
> favour of using systemd-networkd. However it seems in the last Rawhide
> update, NetworkManager has reinstalled itself and has enforced
> starting. I tried removing it but it seems GNOME Shell depends on it's
> presence. Isn't this a dependency too far?

GNOME shell is probably depending on NetworkManager for its updates
handling, so it is integrated in.  networkd probably isn't supported
for that functionality.  You can check this by leaving NetworkManager
installed, and masking it in systemd, so that it can't be started by
the GNOME update manager (PackageKit?).  Then start networkd, and
let it take over network functionality.  After a while of running, look
in the logs, journalctl -r, to see if there are any complaints about an
inability to check for updates.  It might take a while.

I am unfamiliar with this, but I think your choices are
1. remain with GNOME, use networkd, disable PackageKit, and handle
updates manually
2. remain with GNOME and use NetworkManager, let GNOME handle updates
3. switch to another desktop, use networkd, and handle updates
manually

After Easter, maybe someone more knowledgeable will give you a better
answer.