Re: problems dual-booting f25 and rawhide

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Something is not right. And I can reproduce it by booting the rescue
> grub option, which after a few kernel updates, is a kernel+initramfs
> which does not have a corresponding /usr/lib/modules for that version
> of kernel. For the purpose of rescue, this makes it rather suboptimal
> that I can't mount any vfat file systems.
> And lsmod shows the problem but not the cause:
>
> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/~WCO3oUrhXmFIl-rYLthCV5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=
>
> It's got a bunch of kernel modules loaded, but not fat or vfat. Goofy.
> I'd say it's a bug. It's supposed to be built into the kernel so how
> is it not listed?

Figured it out.

The fat and vfat kernel modules are in the initramfs, not built into
the kernel. Once root is mounted, the initramfs is no longer
available. The mount of /boot/efi happens after switchroot, but the
corresponding /usr/lib/modules aren't there, nor is the initramfs. And
that's why mounting /boot/efi fails.

This is a problem for any 'rescue' menu entry attempt, where a driver
is needed after switchroot, because after switchroot neither the
nohostonly initramfs is available, nor is a corresponding
/usr/lib/modules.

So its not a bug per se, it's a design limitation I guess.

--
Chris Murphy