CI Testing for a systemd wrapper

Hello,

I am a GSoC 2017 aspirant for the idea ".NET Core Wrapper for systemd". I was referred here by the members of dotnet-sig, to seek help on the following issues.

1. One of the goals for the systemd wrapper project is the ability to reboot, shutdown and schedule shutdowns and reboots. How do we test such a facility in a CI environment ?

2. The systemd wrapper library will also contain code to lock and unlock sessions and managing multi-seat configurations [1], however such things are only relevant on graphical setups. How do we test them it in an headless CI environment ?

Here is a possible solution to issue 1, that I am considering:

For testing shutdown and reboots, I am planning to spawn docker containers inside the CI virtual machine. The docker containers will contain systemd, and the code to be tested. It would receive a signal by the CI VM, to perform a shutdown or a reboot. The test program will then connect to the docker daemon and fetch the status of the container and validate the test.

Will this be a good idea ? Please suggest if there is a better alternative to this.

Regards,
Amitosh S.

[1]: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/