dnf system-upgrade reboot report

Followed https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade to go from a freshly updated Athlon XP 2000+ (1667MHz) i386 F25 to F26. At start it reported 181 to install, 985 to upgrade, 6 to downgrade.

1-I started the $SUBJECT process then went to bed. On arising in the AM, the machine was locked up. I reset booted into the host's F24 installation and examined F26's /var/log/dnf.rpm.log, finding nothing to make me suspect the process was incomplete. Log shows process took about 66 minutes.

2-/var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade/ content booted to F26 still consumes 240743 blocks on a 1024 blocksize / filesystem of 4.8GB even after 'dnf clean all'. Source F25 partition cloned from for the upgrade stands at 77% in use, while F26 is 79%. Is it safe to now remove the entire content of that directory manually?

3-Process could not have been performed without having first mounted an extra filesystem to /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade/ to prevent / from filling up with rpms. After completing the process via F24 boot of so configuring the target, then doing the update, I reversed the process from F24 boot, copying the content of the separate filesystem into the vacated mount location.

4-Process claimed to have installed 4.11.0rc kernel. /lib/modules/ had a directory for this kernel, but /boot/ contained nothing matching. /etc/fedora-release shows 26, but fedora-* packages for both 25 and 26 were installed, and dnf repolist all showed only 25 until I dnf removed the 25s. Running dnf reinstall kernel-PAE-core populated /boot/ normally. / space in use after removing oldest installed kernel, dnf clean all, dnf makecache, went to 80%.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/