Re: F25 much more worse then F24, I hope F26 will be better

On 03/02/2017 12:27 PM, Joerg Lechner wrote:
Hi,
investigation of the first action point:  "dnf update" takes too much
time in F25.
I made timestamps by my watch not by the system.

start of dnf update  09:48
update finished at  10:37

Question:   Are these update times ok, tolerable,

Hard to tell. Overall, these times are miserable and are unlike what I am used to. But from what you are telling, one can only guess on the origin, esp. one would have to identify whether it's the download transfer rate or a bottleneck on your machine.

My first guess on the origin, would be drpms, which I found are a significant source of time-waste, esp. on machines with slow (e.g. flash?) or little memory. I recommend to try switching them off (Add deltarpm=false to /etc/dnf/dnf.conf).

My second guess would be you to have hit a slow mirror. During project phases with heavy mirror activities, like the current one, I have been experiencing a tendency in yum and dnf to favour broken and outdated mirrors, seemingly because the fast mirrors are constantly out of sync.

In this case, aborting (Ctrl C) and erasing the cache ("dnf clean all" or rm -rf /var/cache/dnf) and retrying again, hoping dnf will choose a better mirror, should help.

A third possibility, I have seen during updates is something else loading a machine to an extend, it starts behaving utterly slow. In the past, one such cases I was facing journald trying to fill its files at rates the machine could not write them to disk anymore, in recent times, I am occasionally experiencing situations which look like network-io bringing machines close to stand-still.

Ralf