Re: Fedora Rawhide-20170107.n.0 compose check report

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 15:36 +0000, Fedora compose checker wrote:
> Missing expected images:
>
> Cloud_base qcow2 x86_64
> Atomic qcow2 x86_64
> Cloud_base raw-xz x86_64
> Atomic raw-xz x86_64
>
> Failed openQA tests: 16/103 (x86_64), 1/2 (arm)

So in case anyone's wondering what's been going on for the last few
days...

In the next compose (201707.n.1) a new systemd build landed - systemd-
232-6.fc26 - which had two effects.

First, it broke a lot of the tests; 70+ tests have failed in every run
since then. I dug into that today, and it turns out to be because of a
service that got removed between 231 and 232. In systemd %post we run
`systemctl preset (awholebunchofservices)` to load the preset
configurations for a whole bunch of services. Unfortunately, one of the
services in the list is the one that was removed between 231 and 232,
so now the command just fails. That meant none of the presets actually
got applied, and among other things, that resulted in there being no
tty on vt1 by default, which breaks every test that expects a tty on
vt1 (which is lots of them). Zbigniew has just sent through a new
systemd build with a fix for that (232-7), so a lot more tests should
pass tomorrow.

Second, it caused a couple of services to start failing on the
Workstation install, which had a rather unexpected knock-on
consequence. Remember I added that feature to check-compose lately
where a few of the tests upload various bits of info about the
installed system and check-compose analyzes them? Well, one of those
bits of info is a list of running services. Because of how I was
producing that list, when any of the services have failed, the text
file winds up with some unicode characters in it, and it turns out that
check-compose wasn't reading the downloaded files in a unicode-safe
way, and so it's just been crashing on every compose since then. Which
is why there haven't been any compose reports!

I've now fixed check-compose to handle unicode in the downloaded files,
but I also tweaked the way we generate the list of services in the
first place (because the extra column that appears in the list when any
of the services have failed was messing with the parsing in other ways
too).

So I'm hoping tomorrow we'll both get a compose check report, and it'll
have fewer failed tests than we've had for the last few days.

This has been your Rawhide update! /me out
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey