gnome-software no notifications, but pending updates

In gnome-shell if I go to restart (upper right corner, power button
icon) I have an 'install pending software updates' now for two days,
but there's no other notification that there are pending software
updates.

Is this change in behavior expected? Seems like a bug. Maybe I'll
leave it alone for a couple more days and see if it continues to
accumulate updates without any notification.

--
Chris Murphy