Re: again F25 on USB Flash medium - with legacy ok - only problem with EFI -Anaconda

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM, Pavlo Rudyi <paulcarroty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 23:30 -0400, Joerg Lechner wrote:
>> Hi,
>> need advice. Problem installing F25 on an Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 65GB
>> stick in UEFI mode. Works for a 32GB Sandisk Ultra, but not for the
>> 65GB stick.
>> PC is an Acer Laptop, 2 years old, Win 8.1.
>> Tried now netinstall with the 65GB stick for 2 times instead of
>> Workstation Live.  In the first trial the installation stopped at
>> file 1114 of 1413, in the second trial it stopped at 1089 of 1413.
>
> Try to install minimum OS only, then boot, run `dnf groupinstall
> "what_you_want"` and see your problem packages.

Without logs there's no way of knowing why something "doesn't work".
I've seen quite a lot of SD card reader flip out with anything above
32GiB cards, and just plain do weird shit. I have no idea if that's a
factor in this case or not. Another thing is there's a lot of fake
flash out in the world. No matter what the brand supposedly is, or
where you got it, it's worth using f3 on it, or Gnome Multiwriter also
has a test for fake flash - the manifestation of which is corruption
as the flash loops over itself. So long as only data is being written,
this spoofing of the flash can last quite a while only destroying
previously written data silently. But as fs metadata gets stepped on,
eventually the fs will face plant. Some file systems tolerate this far
longer than others.

--
Chris Murphy