Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On 10/04/2016 05:51 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Recently several reports of people getting 'duplicated packages' and
'kernel updates not working' have come through to us in QA from Fedora
24 users. I managed to get one reporter to explain more specifically
what happened, and it sounds a lot like what's happening is that
something in the 'dnf update' process can cause a GNOME or X crash,
possibly depending on hardware or package set installed. When that
happens, the update process is killed and does not complete cleanly,
which is why you get 'duplicated packages' and other odd results.

I'm working with the reporter right now to investigate and hopefully
get this fixed, but in the meantime - and this is in fact our standard
advice anyway, but it bears repeating - DON'T RUN 'dnf update' INSIDE A
DESKTOP.

FWIW: Since ca. f22/f23 I've repeatedly seen "dnf update" running in xfce4-terminals in Xfce4 desktops killing X or something underneath of X, leaving duplicate packages in rpmdb.

So far, I've been suspecting some systemd services is killing something related to networking or X, but I never managed to isolate the cause.

Ralf