reading automatic test results in Bodhi

Please take this as stream of conscious feedback from a Fedora
contributor who is a casual maintainer of a few packages. I'm really
excited to see this working and not meaning to be critical; I hope this
is useful.

Okay, so, I submitted an update, and — cool! — there are Automated Test
Results sitting there. And some of them have a subtle little ⓧ , which
I know means "failed" rather than "click to hide this" because those
are highlighted in pink. Another one has a kind of mellon orange and a
circled !, so I guess it need my attention.

So, click on the first failure. It's from rpmlint, and I know how to
read that output. Okay, this is easy — plain text with FAILED at the
bottom, with "(1 errors, 7 warnings)". I read upwards and see the
errors and warnings. Some of them are a little obscure, but I'm used to
rpmlint.

Ok, next one — the orange warning from dist.rpmgrill. Woah — a whole
bunch of JSON. I search for "warning" or "notice" and get nothing;
there are bunch of "status" : "completed" lines. It's not at all clear
what I'm supposed to pay attention to. Hmmm. I notice that the next
result — the other failed one — is dist.rpmgrill.desktop-lint, so maybe
the warning is just telling me that a sub-test failed. There _is_ some
DesktopLint stuff in here, but I'm not quite clear on what I'm seeing
or what it means. There's stuff like "diag" : "Icon file
<var>ufraw</var> not found"... maybe that's it?

Anyway, on to the failed apparent subtest. Oh look, more JSON. Hmmm. Is
this a subset of the previous? Just the relevant section? Looks like
it. Still don't know exactly what to do.... reading the JSON.... ah,
okay, it's not happy about the .desktop files that geeqie installs for
its own menus. That's a false positive; they're actually Fine For What
They Do.

So, the one with a warning could definitely be more clear. For the
other JSON one, it really would be nice to have some explanation of
what's being tested, and have the JSON converted to something human
readable. I hope that's not just me being whiny — it feels barely
useable like this (especially as more new tests are addded).

Beyond that... if I'm sure something is a false positive, is there a
way to mark it as suppressed? (I guess not hidden forever; maybe shown
at the bottom of the list as failed-but-okay'd or something.) I imagine
there are gonna be a lot of false positives.

Bonus question! Is there a UI for me to see these for packages which
don't go to bodhi? I usually just build into rawhide unless there is a
security update or major bugfix.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>