Re: Self-introduction: Dallas Hall.

On Sun, 2016-08-28 at 01:15 +0000, Dallas Dallas wrote:
> Hey Adam,
>
> Thanks for the sponsorship and advice.  The bug tracking concept
> sounds good and I will check out some bugs on Bugzilla.  Also, I will
> start setting up my testing environment this week and get myself
> acquainted with the tools everyone uses.  I am planning to use a VM
> for testing as I don't have a spare physical machine.  Is there any
> particular programming language that is used the most with Fedora?  I
> would assume C but I thought I should ask to be sure.

Well, the software in the distribution is written in all kinds of
languages, of course. The most common language used for things actually
written as part of the Fedora project itself is probably Python; most
of QA's tools are in Python, as are most of the packaging-related
tools.

My personal take - as someone who had no coding background at all - is
that the language isn't always the most important thing; there are
actually a lot of commonalities between well-run projects no matter
what language they're written in, and I tend to find the general
process of figuring out why something goes wrong and how to make it
stop going wrong is more about understanding those processes, and
various different conventions between different projects and types of
project, than particularly to do with the language that's used. You'll
often find you can broadly understand what's going on with a bug
without any formal grounding in the language at all. Just my
perspective, though! Good luck again :)