Re: Requiring package test instructions (was: Re: Too fast karma on Bodhi updates)

What is the long term plan for package automated testing?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Cases
E.g. 18264 packages * 20 tests run continuously by humans is a lot work. The first question I expect many package maintainers to raise is that its a much better investment to maintain automated tests instead. As a user, I only trust that tests were run if I can see execution logs.

I agree that upstream + package maintainers should be supplying per-package tests. and IMHO the source package is the most logical place to store and generate them from.

SRPMs should be providing either:
- include a standardized test section similar to DEB autopkgtest ("in-build" tests)
- OR building produces a "-tests" package which puts a bunch of simple returncode test executables under somewhere standard. Example: /usr/lib/testing/<source pkg name>/bin/{test_foo,test_abc} and group them in plaintext lists /usr/lib/testing/<source pkg name>/testgroups/{quick,build,qa_intensive,smoke} etc. (Executing the tests could emit coverage information to some known location. (gcov, pytest etc))

The seperate "-tests" RPM has a few advantages over in-build tests, including:
- Tests the final product: the built binary RPM installed on a working system (not the in-build environment)
- Different test groups for different phases of package release process
- Users can easily run test X seperately for troubleshooting
- Makes the tests easily usable during new build contexts (rpm ostree, container build testing etc)
- System-wide integration tests could simply be stored in their own package.