Re: Requiring package test instructions (was: Re: Too fast karma on Bodhi updates)

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:16:59PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> This is setting far too high a bar for a project like Fedora. We take
> the feedback we can get, we are not in a position to demand all update
> testers perform comprehensive testing of all possible facets of an
> update. It is always important to bear in mind that Bodhi is a system
> designed to do the best we can to provide some moderate level of update
> quality checking, it has never been intended or expected that Bodhi
> feedback is of professional-level quality and comprehensiveness.

But then we're setting the bar too low by allowing *anyone* to set
karma for the sake of it.  You might as well just let developers push
packages to stable if they're 'confident' about it.  If volume of
contributions is a concern then I think we need to look at other ways
to promote that without compromising on quality.

If setting the initial bar is too much then we need a way to put in
control mechanisms (and maybe have a mentorship program) when we see
a pattern of incorrect behaviour.

> Note that *only* responses to 'generally functional' are actually used
> to calculate the karma score. All the other feedback items have no
> relevance to scoring or any kind of actual technical gating mechanism,
> they are purely informational to the update submitter at this point in
> time. If 'generally functional' had no +1, it would be impossible for
> any update ever to be auto-pushed or pushed ahead of the 'waiting
> period', because no update could ever get a positive karma score.

... which is not enough.  The definition of 'generally functional' is
vague, as all of us agree and we have seen examples of that being
misused in the past.  Requiring devel to document their packages is
one step forward and requiring testers to provide more detailed
feedback on what they tested (so that devel can decide if that is
sufficient) should be the step after that.

> We can also allow customization at the package level ('all updates for
> package foo must get a +1 for test case bar') or update level ('don't
> push this update stable unless there's +2 for RHBZ #123456'). There's
> actually an initial implementation of this in current Bodhi, but I
> haven't seen many packagers using it. In most cases, none of the

This is what I am looking for.

Siddhesh