Composes and stable pushes and grub2-2.02-0.34

Hi, folks. jsedlak asked me something on IRC but he was gone when I
woke up, so I figured I'd send the answer here in case it was of
interest to anyone else =) He asked:

<garretraziel> 06:19:28> adamw: why isn't grub2-2.02-0.34 in stable
repos? I'm hitting #1320273 with windows dualboot with netinst

the answer is simply that pushing blocker / FE update stable and
including them in composes does not necessarily happen at the same
time.

There's a rel-eng trac ticket for each milestone (24 Alpha, 24 Beta, 24
Final, 25 Alpha...) where we request composes:

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6423

is the current one. There is a separate trac ticket for each *release*
where we request stable pushes:

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6370

is the one for F24.

The way things work is basically that if we decide to request a compose
- see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_compose_request - we'll
usually request *all* available blocker fixes (regardless of their
karma) and most or all available FE fixes (again regardless of karma)
be included. If it's a late RC we'll be more picky about FE fixes.

I do a stable push request every few days - it's kinda haphazard - and
request pushes for fixes which look 'good'. This is...slightly fuzzy; I
usually don't request a push for anything with 0 karma, I *do* push
anything with +2 karma which I'm pretty sure is good, +1 is sort of a
judgment call. Also, it's important not to push anything stable unless
we're sure it will actually go into a compose - so, for instance, I
wouldn't request a stable push *today* for an FE fix that is not in RC-
1.2.

Once a compose is signed off at go/no-go, anything that went into it
which was not already in stable *must* be pushed stable, so the stable
repo is in sync with what went into the compose. So all those things
get pushed stable regardless of how much karma they have.

The upshot of all this is that packages will appear in 'candidate'
composes (as opposed to nightlies) and the stable repos at different
times, during freezes. It's not uncommon for something to go into a
compose before it's pushed stable. This is most common with things like
anaconda and grub2 that really need to be tested as part of a compose
for us to be sure they're good; I'll usually try and get those into a
compose before requesting a stable push for them.

Since grub2-2.02-0.34 seems to be working fine in RC-1.2 and has +3
karma, I'll likely send a stable push request for it (and any other
bits that went into RC-1.2 but aren't stable yet) today.

Hope that helps!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey