Re: release criteria for final - bug 1320967

On Fri, 2016-05-20 at 15:59 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2016-05-20 at 09:55 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > I don't think it'd affect development at all. What it does do is
> > > remove the most obvious big dual boot bugs from broader community beta
> > > testing, so that hopefully if there are more obscure bugs, they get
> > > found. Showstopper bugs tend to inhibit that testing. On some systems
> > > it's necessary to do a grub downgrade to do any post-install testing
> > > of a dual boot UEFI system right now.
> >
> > Well, sure, and we should just move all the criteria to Alpha so we can
> > test everything at Alpha!
>
> Not every bug limits the test coverage so dramatically to require
> that.

I'm not sure I particularly buy that. Are there really a lot of people
testing pre-releases by dual-booting who can't navigate the UEFI boot
menu? I mean, it's possible, but I haven't got that impression...

>  And I'm not certain this one does either

Right.

> . But this bug does
> inhibit Windows boot, even if it's not nerfed, from GRUB for people
> with UEFI systems where it was previously working, when they upgrade
> to beta (which I don't think have any scary warnings like anaconda
> pre-releases).

Well, you kinda have to read the instructions to upgrade to a Beta, and
the instructions do of course include all the warnings.

> > It doesn't work that way. There has to be a trade-off between what we'd
> > like and what we can actually achieve. Of course it'd be nice if
> > everything worked all the time. I don't think you'll be able to sell
> > pjones on this being an Alpha blocker.
>
> I wouldn't buy off on it as an alpha blocker either. I might buy off
> on it being beta, but even there I'm skeptical as there is a work
> around. But what if there isn't a work around at all? I suppose in
> that case the catch all you hate for limiting test coverage would just
> apply in which case strictly speaking no change in criterion is needed
> here.

I'm still not really convinced it applies.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey