Re: No desktop icons with "gnome on wayland" as desktop variant in F24

> On Fri, 2016-04-01 at 13:50 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Joachim Backes
> > <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi F24 testers,
> > >
> > > I installed F24 workstation and set "gnome on wayland" as login
> > > option, set
> > > "Dektop icons" to "on" using gnome-tweak-tool, but still desktop
> > > icons are
> > > not shown (same problem as in F23).
> > >
> > > Any workaround for this behaviour? Or is this a bug, or a
> > > feature?
> >
> > I believe the behavior is currently as intended, it's not a bug,
> > I'm
> > not sure whether it's intended as a future enhancement or not. I'd
> > check the desktop list archives as I know there's was a thread
> > around
> > differences between X11 and Wayland, what was being fixed, what was
> > different due to wayland functionality etc in the last couple of
> > months.
> I think it's more 'known' than 'intended', to split hairs a little: I
> forget the details, but basically desktop icons can't work the way
> they
> currently do with Wayland (and I'm betting no-one cares a lot to fix
> them). This is all just IIRC.

More or less accurate.

We support nautilus rendering desktop icons as part of Classic mode,
but not more. The code in nautilus that does this is using X specific
apis. Could it be made to work under Wayland ? Certainly. But it is not
a particular priority for us; the basic assumption is that the same
audience that prefers classic mode probably has conservative tastes
when it comes to the display server as well.