Re: no /dev/root when doing remote install using the netinstall iso...

On 08/14/2015 09:43 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:48 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
During the boot process it now finds the iso file. I initially had an
error in the menu entry.
Great.

When it tries to mount the iso the error line is:

mount: /run/install/isodir/Fedora-Server-netinst-i386-23_Alpha failed to
setup loop device: no such file or directory.
Try a shorter file name. The .iso suffix is chopped in your error message.
I typed the error and left off the .iso but I renamed the iso to
Fedora.iso anyhow, got the same result.
Maybe also try removing the kickstart file definition from the config for
now, just to make sure it does not affect it somehow.
Removing the ks reference resulted in the same results.
And then displays the error /dev/root does not exist.
That just says "I couldn't find any partition to mount as the root
filesystem" (and /dev/root is probably the default value). The root
partition is in that iso file, but it failed to mount, so there's none.
This error message is a direct consequence of the previous one.

Is there anything else I can try?
Not sure. You can always ask at #anaconda IRC channel or anaconda-devel mailing list:

You can also report a bug against anaconda or dracut in http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ .
Since I am the only one having this problem I did the following:

I went back and tried to upgrade to F22 using the same method. It worked as expected.

I then tried to upgrade to F23. This time it worked. I must have had a setting that was incorrect that I missed finding.

I should have been able to find the problem without having to post.

Thanks to all for the input.

David