Re: Interaction: firewall-applet's icon & firewalld

On 05.05.2015 17:46, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> On 05/04/2015 09:05 PM, poma wrote:
>> …
>>> Moreover, it is worthwhile to implement them as is "Applet shows notifications"
>>> i.e. "notifications",
>>> so they can be enabled also in the applet with the checkbox in the right mouse menu.
>>>

>> I've tested it and concluded:
>> when the control of appearance of the applet is in the applet itself,
>> when the applet is in "none-show-inactive" mode,
>> therefore, does not show its icon in the systray,
>> dconf mechanism must be used to show it again.
>>
>> For this reason alone the use of this feature is not homogeneous,
>> so I withdraw this part of the proposal.
>>

> firewall-applet behaves in absence of the daemon like other applets do
> also, for example the NetworkManager applet. If the daemon is not
> running the applet is not shown.

Is this really a fact?

Or if the nm-applet is installed and set as desktop auto-startup item:
/etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
and enabled as such,
nm-applet "should be" displayed at all times,
regardless of whether the NetworkManager is active (running) or not.

Literally the same as I proposed for the firewall-applet.

For the sake of clarity, I am referring to xfce4-panel's systray,
therefore the Xfce, as shown in rhbz 1217797.

"should be" - reserve toward GTK+ bugs

> To show the applet in this case has pros and also cons. If for example
> someone has deactivated firewalld, the applet will be visible all the
> time without providing any useful functionality.
>
> There has been no change in the behavior of the applet since 2 releases.

"useful functionality" is exactly why I propose this - be informative at max.
After all, it is about the firewall, right.

> I am thinking about an additional check if the firewalld service is
> enabled with systemd in this case.

Just do not say that you have adopted the "philosophy" of hiding firewall from users,
you know yourself where it comes from. ;)