Re: Screen resolutions

On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 22:13 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Adam Williamson composed on 2015-04-13 18:02 (UTC-0700):
>
> > Bug reports, anyone. The reason I didn't just say 'doesn't exist'
> > is
> > because if your system is old enough you'll still have the file,
> > with a
>
> How old is "old"?...

Whenever it switched over. I don't remember.

> > log from the last boot before GDM switched over to sending the
> > messages to the journal. But that file is very unlikely to be of
> > any
> > interest to anyone.
>
> What exactly does journalctl -b extract that is better than what an
> Xorg.0.log contains? I see you've been tweeking
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problemsbut I don't
> see an
> explanation of non-interest in the traditional log.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. The messages for a given
boot will *either* be in Xorg.0.log *or* in the journal. They'll never
be in both. On some systems (some login managers) the X logs are now
written to the journal, *not* to Xorg.0.log. One other systems they
are still in Xorg.0.log.

> > directed to the journal. I think it's probably the case that this
> > is
> > tied to the login manager not the desktop, so when you use GDM,
> > whatever desktop you log into, the messages go to the journal -
> > but I
> > wasn't 100% sure so I fudged it.
>
> I get that the powers in control decided there shall be a massive
> paradigm
> shift from X troubleshooting tradition dating back into a previous
> century
> (the precise reasons for which as yet have escaped my discovery),

This is an overstatement. Some log lines were in one place. Now
they're in another. Stuff moves around, this is a thing that happens.
People generally deal with it, they have brains and stuff.

> Some installations here have had KDM replaced by SDDM. On those with
> SDDM
> I've been unable to get a configuration equivalent to KDM
> configuration, so I
> use startx or xinit directly to start KDE on those. On those that
> still have
> KDM, I'm more likely to be using startx than a login manager anyway.
> I cannot
> recall having seen an Xorg.0.log not created freshly on X exit on
> any of them
> in recent weeks, if ever.

Like I said, it happens on GNOME / Workstation. Since you don't have
any Workstation / GNOME installs, of course you don't have any cases
where the X logs are in the journal.

> IOW, I have many Xorg.0.log files created in recent weeks, days and
> hours by
> Fedora. Surely others do too.

I didn't say anything else...

> What I'd really like to see is what makes the rigamarole of using
> journalctl
> to extract X diagnostic info from a binary blob produce better
> troubleshooting and diagnostic info better than the tradition of
> automatic
> creation in human readable format copyable using simple and memorable
> instructions from anything that can access the filesystem containing
> it.

I don't see the need to rehash tired arguments about journald here.
It's not really relevant to the simple question of where to find the
logs in what situation.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey