Re: Jerky mouse pointer movement

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:40:52 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > Everybody happy with mouse pointer movement in F22?
> >
> > By default, it moved much too fast for me compared with F21 and
> > older and other OSs. Decreasing the speed, I felt it necessary to
> > switch to almost the very left (slow), but the pointer still cannot
> > be moved as accurately as before. What's up?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg
>
> It's mostly fine for me, but I find that fine positioning (when you
> fine-tune to the exact area you wanted to reach with small movements,
> after one big movement to get most of the way there) is a bit less
> responsive than it was.

That sounds like the acceleration problem I'm still facing. I miss the
target I wanted to reach with the mouse pointer, e.g. a scrollbar or
button. I move the mouse a bit more, slowly, and get the impression
I'm clumsy as I find myself I need to move the mouse like that much
more often than with F21 or other OSs.

The problem is more complex.

In F21 GNOME Shell "Mouse & Touchpad" settings, it is lying to you
about the default. By default, the slider is at the left (= "slowest"),
but actually the internal setting is _not_ the slowest. It's an unknown
value that is not displayed to you. Once you touch the slider and move it
just a little bit to test how that would change pointer movement speed,
you're in hell because you realize you've started from scratch with a
setting not just slightly different from the default. I find it kinda
difficult to even find "the default" again with no value/number I could
return to (like a "reset to default").

In F22, the slider starts at the middle. There even is a small mark at
the middle, which makes it easy to stop at that point. There still is
no number/value displayed anywhere I could remember or write down
somewhere to keep for future reuse. Moving the slider, there's disk
activity madness for every tiny bit it moves. A really strange solution.

Meanwhile, I've filed https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1204387

There's no real solution yet. Just an udev customization I can use to
make the F22 default GNOME Shell mouse pointer speed work better for me
(i.e. keep the setting's slider at the middle instead of having to move
it to the very left which would still not be perfect).