Re: Rawhide install password strength rules

On 02/11/2015 01:49 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 11:35 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am running Rawhide on armv7, but I suspect that the configuration
code
for root password and userid creation is the same for all
platforms....
It is, though note this isn't enforced for kickstart installs, AIUI.

Seems like there is not only a hard enforcement on password strength
now, but a password I would use at times that was rated 'moderate',
and allowed is now rated 'weak'.  And one rated hard is now moderate.

Where can I find information about the current password rules.  Or
is this a bug (at least in the armv7 builds)?

For now I can get around this by building the armv7 SD card without a
root password and using passwd on the command line which is not so
demanding.  But I do want to know the rules so I too can have a
'strong'
password.  That I will proceed to write down...  (from the security
guy that use to teach a course on Authentication!)
It's a feature, yes. There's an ongoing thread about it. The 'rules'
are simply those provided by the underlying library, pwquality. Mo
posted some pretty easy passwords that pass the checks:

'my name is' (good) (10 chars)
'bacon4eva!' (strong) (10 chars)
'hamncheese.' (strong) (10 chars)
'GoPatriots!' (strong) (11 chars)
'hey, you!' (good) (8 chars)
'8crayons.' (good) (9 chars)
'latte2015' (good) (9 chars)

Personally I've been using 'correcthorse' (I'm immensely surprised
password quality libs haven't blacklisted all derivatives of
'correcthorsebatterystaple' yet).

I have that comic posted on my hutch and my wife always asks if she can use that! And why do so many systems asking for passwords not allow it! No numbers or special characters!

I will probably be doing another build tomorrow and will test these out to see if they get accepted or if there is a problem with the rawhide armv7 config interface.

thanks for the response.