Re: F21 on Lenovo production - no audio when there was during beta

On 12/28/2014 11:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sun, 2014-12-28 at 08:00 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I just noticed that I have no audio on my Lenovo x120e with F21 and
Xfce.  I tested this during the beta (but do not remember which beta
release) with VLC and listened to a mp4 lecture.

Now nothing, and the Xfce audio panel reports:  'No valid device
and/or element'.

I rebooted, just to be sure that all the suspends I had done since
the last boot was not at fault, and still no audio.

How do I troubleshoot this one?

I haven't updated
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems for a
while, but it should still be pretty much valid. You might also want
to check you don't have a ~/.pulse/client.conf lying around which
specifies 'autospawn=no' as that seems to break initial PA startup for
me.
Thanks for this pointer. I was able to figure out that it was defaulting to HDMI audio, which I do not have. I DO have the external video attached, but VGA. So I used the pulse audo config dialog window and muted the HDMI, and it switched to the internal speakers.

When I did the testing with the beta, I was not connected to the external video. So that could be the difference. Once external video is enabled, it ASSUMES it must be HDMI, as this Lenovo has HDMI along with VGA.

More testing later.  Got to run some errands.  But I got audio working.

thanks