Re: anaconda and boot.iso

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 14:58 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I am trying to verify that a fix work.  The fix is in
> anaconda-21.48.15-1 and I need to run a netinstall to test the fix.
>

> anaconda:
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/21/x86_64/a/anaconda-21.48.15-1.fc21.x86_64.rpm
> has the date/time stamp 2014-11-20 05:41
>
> boot.iso:
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/21/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso
> has the date/time stamp  2014-11-21 10:41
>
> My problem is that the anaconda in boot.iso is anaconda-21.48.14-1
>
> In the daily builds, is there a boot.iso created that uses
> updates/testing as well as development/21 to create boot.iso?

No.

> Would this be difficult to add?

I don't know if it'd be *difficult*, but it'd be unclear where it should
live, and it'd use up more time on the builders...

What I'd do in this case is just build an updates.img with the fix and
use that. It's really not difficult to build updates.img .

Check anaconda out of git:

git clone https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda.git
cd anaconda

Now there's a file scripts/makeupdates which builds update images. What
it does is build an image containing all changes between the current
*local* (not remote) state of the *directory* (not the repository) -
that is, the changes don't have to be pushed or even committed to git -
and a given git tag. By default it'll use the most recent release tag,
but you can pass -t (tag) to use a different one. Once you understand
this behaviour, you can manipulate it to generate the updates.img you
want.

In your case I'd probably check out the 21.48.14-1 tag:

git checkout anaconda-21.48.14-1

then I'd re-apply just the fix for the bug you want:

git cherry-pick cb0f849ed84f7eccbbb215461a134898547cc188

(I'm guessing that's the fix in question, but just use the appropriate
commit ID)

then I'd build the updates image:

scripts/makeupdates -t anaconda-21.48.14-1

et voila, I now have an updates.img which will apply just that
particular commit to an image containing anaconda 21.48.14-1. Stick it
on a server or a USB stick or whatever, boot with it, and test.

You can also set up an environment for building your own boot.iso , much
as you can build your own live images - there's some documentation about
that in the wiki:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_Fedora_install_ISO_for_testing?rd=How_to_build_a_Rawhide_ISO_image_for_testing

but I'm not sure how up to date it is. Still, I know some people have it
set up (bcl and I think tflink, at least) and may be able to help. Once
you have that working, you can include a side repo in your generation
process and put any updated builds you want to test in that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey