Re: karma wanted: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xfdesktop-4.10.3-1.fc21

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 03:26:26 +0100
poma <pomidorabelisima@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems, some terms confuse you, so let me clarify for you,
> development != unstable

development versions can be unstable or stable or stable for some
people and unstable for others.

Typically, Development versions are where upstream is changing things
for the next Major version.

User interface could change, behavior could change, sometimes multiple
times. We don't want users getting each of these changes and having to
change their workflow or discover changes, we want to wait until the
major release is out and we can document changes and users can upgrade
on their schedule, not ours.

> Fedora 21 includes a fair number of packages some of which are built
> from what you call an unstable version, and some are even essential
> system packages.

Different upstream projects have a different lifecycles and development
setup. For example gnome uses a similar setup where there is an an
unstable development release, then a stable release. However, they are
much more regular than Xfce in releases, so they know when they push a
development version to rawhide, the final version will be out before
the final Fedora stable version it's in.

> The Xfce is another word for stability, developed or released.

I'm glad it's stable for you.

kevin