Re: F21 TC-3 installation issue [resolved, sort of--or maybe NOT]

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:04:24AM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 03:20:21PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 15:29 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> > > I installed TC-3 in a VirtualBox VM (latest vbox release, 64-bit) t'other
> > > day. Mostly it went quite well with one really oddball exception. I don't
> > > know if it's a general problem (haven't seen other mentions of it)
> > > or not, but it's weird enough I thought to mention it here.
> > >
> > > When creating a user in Anaconda, I entered the password twice, as prompted,
> > > and it said they didn't match. so I did it again. and again. and again. It
> > > insisted they didn't match.
> > >
> > > tried the same thing for the root password and got the same result.
> > >
> > > So, I entered a one-character password, in both fields, and it did not
> > > say they didn't match. so I tried two chars. ok so far. by working my way
> > > up to the full password, one char at a time in both fields, it allowed me
> > > to get the whole thing in successfully. This worked for both my username
> > > and for root.
> > >
> > > Never seen any such thing before!
> > >
> > > If anyone wants me to, I can go try more installs and see if I can
> > > reproduce. If I CAN, what sorts of extra info would be helpful when i
> > > report it?
> >
> Adam, et al:
>
> I did two more fresh installs last night to see if I could reproduce
> this, and was unable to. So, I have no idea if I was doing something
> wrong in the first instance, or what.
>
> So I guess it counts as "resolved", for some values therof.

Well, I downloaded the actual beta and I can re-create it, it's a
matter of how one types things in, apparently, on the user creation
screen. I've exercised this four or five times this evening, and
it seems to always work as described below:

When the user creation screen first appears, if I type my name in
quickly, it appears as "derF Smith", then when I go on to enter a
password, it repeatedly fails. Makes me wonder if whatever caused
the reverse-ordering of the letters in my first name may not also be
messing with what I type into the password fields.

OTOH, if I wait a few seconds after the user creation appears, and
type the first name slowly, all is well: the name is not reversed,
and the password is accepted without complaint.

weird, eh?

Fred

<snip>

--