Re: installing on eeepc 701

On 2014-10-29 14:02, Stephen Sheldon wrote:
I installed XFCE4 Live F21 on my eeepc 701 on a 8gb SDHC card in the
the internal reader using RC1.  So I had sda the internal 4GB SDD
drive, sdb the USB key onto which I had copied the iso image via DD,
and sdc the SDHC card. I plugged my monitor into the eeepc 701 because
I know that complaints about resolution would not be received well.
The install succeeded, although the  Anaconda progress bar got stuck
on formatting sdc1.  I followed the install by switching to vt2 and
watching until it completed.

I removed the USB key and attempted to boot the newly installed
system.  The boot of the new install failed, with a complaint it could
not find the root file system.  I rebooted with the USB key, and
examined the grub.cfg.  The kernel command line had root=/dev/sdc1
rather than root=/dev/sdb1.

Thanks for testing!

I'm not sure if it's possible to use something more reliable than drive labels there, but if it is, it might be worth filing a bug asking to consider it (I'm not sure off the top of my head of the details of how that gets written). We can't do much about the enumeration changing - it happens at the kernel level. It's kind of unavoidable when you have hotplugged drive, and a big reason we try to use UUIDs in a lot of cases.

The /etc/fstab has a UUID for the root
file system,
and /dev/sdc2 for the swap partition.

This part may be resolved in Beta RC4, I think (we encountered something similar in testing firmware RAID install, and a udev settle was added to mitigate it.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey