Re: rdd package

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:03:44PM -0300, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>    Hi!
>    I had a failing HD a couple weeks ago and needed something to copy a
>    image file inside this HD as far as I could. I was getting I/O errors
>    during the rsync of the image, so rdd seemed the best tool to do this,
>    but unfortunately it's is not available in Fedora.

I dunno what rdd is, but if you're trying to create an image of a
HD with read errors, I suggest ddrescue (not dd_rescue, two different
programs.)

I recently used it to recover two HDs with read errors, successfully.
You can find it here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

you may need to compile it, depending on what system youwant to
use it on. I was able to compile a static binary so I could use it
on j-random live CD without issues.

>    [1]http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdd/
>    Ubuntu has rdd version 2.0.7 available, and after suffering a little, I
>    could build this same version on an old Fedora 12 machine and use the
>    binaries on the failing host, which was a Fedora 19.
>    rdd 3.x build "perfectly" on Fedora 19, but shows the help message for
>    any list of parameters.
>    Does anyone have a history on this? Has Fedora had this package in the
>    past? Is it possible to maintain this package in Fedora?
>    Thanks in advance,
>    --
>    BrunoJCM
>
> References
>
>    1. http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdd/

> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.